Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Seeing Green This Spring

Not green with envy anymore. My cocktail ring was featured in the Etsy treasury this week! I couldn't agree more with the title...winter was soooo last season I'm ready for spring!!! Bring it!!

Friday, November 6, 2009

The BIG Crafty

I will be exhibiting at the Big Crafty Show at Asheville Art Museum. It's a super fabulous show. Stop by my booth if your in the area!

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pictures Are Worth A 1000 Words

I'm busy in my studio getting ready for the Lexington Avenue Arts & Fun Festival, but I've also been busy putting together applications for fall and early winter shows. One of the hardest parts of selling online and applying for shows is providing good visual representation of my work. I wanted to set aside some time to play with a few photos and improve the quality of my images. My photos are often boring, blurry, and never represent the quality of craftsmanship I'm shooting for (pun totally intended). So, I started playing around with a couple different programs this week, and I've been having some success.

The first is an image of a ring I made this spring. This was one of my first projects, which was inspired by Linda Darty's book The Art of Enameling. I have been exploring enamels for about four months and I wanted to take some pictures that highlighted the enamel work.

Before After

The before shot catches shadows which makes the ring look tarnished or covered in firescale, when in fact, the silver ring has a brushed satin finish. Call it the profectionist in me, but my eye is drawn right to what looks like an imperfection and not the enamel setting.

Using Corel Draw X4 and the mask and lens tools, I was able to select the enamel setting and invert the selection with the mask tool, and then select a black and white lens to remove color from the background. Whalla! A nifty new little way of presenting my work.

Another fantastic little program I found on another blog is Picnik, an online software program for enhancing images. I love this site so much!! It's free, quick, super easy to use, and there's nothing to download except for your pics when you're ready to save the changes.

Before After

Even this blurry photo looks a little better with a little help from Picnik! Now I'm having almost as much fun sprucing up photos as I am at the bench!

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Lilly Padalicious Earrings

I love these lilly pad earrings! The lilly pad is a copper disk 5/8" in diameter with a copper flower over top that have been enameled. The connections and earwire are made of sterling silver wire. I've gotton loads of compiliments on these earring including suggestions for a new necklace design to match. The technique is quite simple and the results are stunning!

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Southern Charm

The Southern Charm necklace is the first design to come out of the new studio. It is by far the most successful piece from the first fire, and an inspiration for future design concepts. It's name comes from its soft sophisticated appearance. I just love the delicate white and deep red petals with sterling silver balls. The flower is made of copper with enamel overlay. It is about an inch and half in diameter in size and hangs on a 1.4mm sterling silver snake chain. I'm just so smitten with the results!

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Studio Construction Phase II

The rain hindered our efforts on the shed but this past weekend we finally put the finishing touches on the exterior and laid the flooring. Electric and interior improvements will be made in a few weeks, but first I have to get to work for my 1st show of the year!

Monday, March 9, 2009

Studio Construction Phase One

Two years ago I converted the master bedroom into my studio, and ever since I have been dreaming of the day that I could move into a more permanent and suitable location. Unfortunately, to build something on our property is a challenge because level ground is limited without significantly altering the land and cuting down trees - both of which are out of the question. After some debate with my husband and making a concession on size, we finally agreed on a location. This weekend we broke ground and laid the foundation for a little 8' x 8' Regent II shed from Home Depot. I cannot believe the amount of concrete it takes to build a four-inch thick 64 sq. ft. foundation. We used forty 80 lb. bags of concrete - 3,200 POUNDS of concrete! The shed will be delivered next weekend and takes a few days to construct. I plan on taking pictures and posting phase two of our little construction project. Weather permitting, I should be all setup and fully operational in a month!